Don’ t these bites look just gorgeous? This raw chocolate raspberry cake tastes delicious and is on top of that nutrient-dense too. They might resemble raspberry cheesecake bites but they are refined sugar free, egg free, dairy free, gluten free, wheat free and vegan…
What I love the most is that it is a high fiber treat which is very beneficial for our gut system. Indulging wisely and supporting our body’s microbiome couldn’t be easier…Don’t they look tempting?
Overall it is an easy and clean recipe consisting just of two cake layers. But you have to plan time for soaking dates and cashews. I recommend to start with preparation the night before.
Medjool dates: Make sure to soak the semi-soft dates in water before using them for this recipe. No need for soaking if you can get juicy and soft dates like e.g. Bawalini (which by the way have a wonderful hint of caramel).
Frozen Raspberries: I’ve always frozen raspberries in my freezer. You can of course also use fresh berries for the raspberry filling.
Blueberries: The recipe works with blueberries too, but be aware that due to their blue color the slices will turn blue and much darker. Hence they won’t have the same eye-catching effect.
Maple syrup: You can also use date syrup instead.
Chia seeds: You can swap the chia with ground flax seeds.
Step 1: Blend dry ingredients like almonds, raw cacao powder and desiccated coconut in your food processor until you get a flour-like consistency.
Step 2: Add coconut oil & dates and process again.
Step 3: Press the mixture with your hands in a prepared pan. Using baking sheet will make handling easier but it is not a must. Let it chill in the freezer while you prepare the next layer.
Step 4: For the second layer we replace the typical cream cheese or whipped cream with plant-based ingredients. Mix raspberries, cashews, desiccated coconut and maple syrup in food processor until combined.
Step 5: Add chia seeds and mix for 2-3 seconds.
Step 6: Spread raspberry layer evenly over base layer and let it freeze for 3 hours minimum.
Step 7: When firm remove from freezer and let it thaw for 5 minutes at room temperature. Then cut them into 20 – 30 bite sized pieces.
Enjoy! Find below the detailed recipe which you can pin for later, share or print out immediately.Print
Chocolate raspberry cake recipe
a seductive summer treat!
- Prep Time: 30
- Total Time: 210
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 80 grams cocoa powder
- 240 grams almonds
- 80 grams desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 12 Medjool dates, soaked
- 400 grams frozen raspberries
- 160 grams raw cashews (soaked over night or for at least 6 hours)
- 120 grams desiccated coconut
- 80 grams pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Blend cocoa, almonds and coconut in your food processor until they have a flour-like consistency.
- Add dates and coconut oil and process again.
- Press the mixture with your hands in a square or rectangle pan.
- Let it chill in the freezer while you prepare the next layer.
- For the second layer blend raspberries, cashews, desiccated coconut and
maple syrup in food processor until combined.
- At last add chia seeds and mix for 2-3 seconds.
- Pour the raspberry layer over the base layer and put it back in the freezer to set for at least 3 hours.
- When firm remove from freezer, wait around 20 minutes then cut into 20-30 bite sized pieces.
- Storage: Store cut chocolate raspberry bites in the freezer and remove about 5 minutes before serving.
- Medjool dates: Make sure to soak the semi-soft Medjol dates in water before using them for the recipe.
- Lemon juice: For an even fresher taste add one tablespoon of lemon juice to the second layer
- Chocolate Frosting: You could optional add a third layer with a chocolate frosting made of coconut oil, cocoa powder and date syrup
Frozen Raspberries: I’ve always frozen raspberries in my freezer. You can of course also use fresh raspberries.
Blueberries: The recipe works with blueberries too, but be aware that due to their blue color the slices will turn much darker and won’t have the same eye-catching effect.
Maple syrup: You can also use date syrup instead but it is a bit darker and might effect the color.
Chia seeds: You can swap them with ground flax seeds.
Keywords: chocolate raspberry cake, raw bites, vegan slices, whole food plant based
Step-by-step video directions
Tame chocolate cravings quickly
You can of course cut them also in 12 medium bars. I recommend however to go for the suggested 20 or even 30 bite size squares. Due to the nuts and the addition of chia seeds this clean eating dessert is very filling.
I feel my cravings for sweets are satisfied already after one little high fiber bite. Together with my beloved Espresso after a whole food meal it is a perfect treat.
Clean Eating Desserts: Integral part of 52 Chef Habits
Did you know that optimizing your dessert and snacking habits is an integral part of my 52 Chef Habits Ecourse, featuring many mouth-watering, easy plant-based dessert recipes. Click here to learn more!