Last Updated on January 19, 2021
I promised you a pesto zoodles recipe some weeks ago, when I presented our new spiralizer (vegetable noodle maker).
So finally here is the zucchini spaghetti recipe and I've included even a short video (1:22 Min) for you.
I have to admit that I'm still new to zoodles and I can't believe that I've overlooked this healthy cooking trend for so long.
The main reason for this is, that I thought preparing spiralized pasta might be too time-consuming.
One thing is clear, the preparation process takes you, of course, a bit longer than jotting store-bought pasta in your pot. On the other hand, you get a super clean, low-carb vegetable pasta that brings a playful creativity into your kitchen.
Video (1:22 min): How to Make Pesto Zoodles with avocado
Check out my plant-based recipe below:Print
Pesto Zoodles Recipe with Avocado
a delicious low carb, clean eating pasta dish
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 30
- 2 medium/large zucchinis
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (EVOO)/3 tablespoon water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 avocados, cut, sliced, peeled and pit
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes in cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt/or 1/2 tablespoon miso
- some pepper
- some fresh basil leaves, hacked
- some basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon almonds, hacked (or hazelnuts)
- spiralize 2 zucchinis to zoodles using a spiral vegetable slicer (e.g. Lurch Spiralizer)
Prepare Avocado Pesto
- heat water/olive oil in a pan
- add garlic
- let it simmer for 3 minutes – in the meanwhile…
- place avocado halves in a food processor
- add lemon juice
- add salt and pepper
- process for a few seconds
- add sautéed garlic
- process again for a few seconds
- bring salt water to a boil
- add zoodles
- let it simmer for 1-2 minutes
- drain zoodles
- toss zoodles gently in a bowl together with pesto
- add tomato cubes
- add almonds
- mix everything gently together
- serve in pasta plates
- garnish with basil leaves
- Enjoy immediately!
- For 2 portions I recommend to use a bit larger zucchinis.
- Serving Size: 2
If you have watched the short video above closely you will find three little mistakes I've made when preparing this zoodle recipe:
- First of all, I have forgotten to put the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the Avocado Pesto.
But I'm sure this is something you won't forget if you follow my recipe instructions above;)
- When making zucchini noodles a second mistake happened, you can also see in the video. I forgot to fix my zucchini pasta maker by using the suction feet. Instead of an absolutely secure stand on smooth surfaces, I struggled with a “moving” spiralizer…
But that's not all…
- The third mistake is…something that really annoyed me a bit;)
When I first produced this video I had only very few small zucchinis. The result was rather a zoodle dish for one person instead of two. In consequence, I had too much avocado pesto left and you can see it by the end of the video or in the pictures above that the spiralized zucchini pasta is much more creamier than it should be. That's why I decided to make a new video with two larger zucchinis. This is what you see at the beginning of my video. I've also added a new picture with the perfect recipe at the beginning of this post.So… the zoodle quantity at the beginning of the video is much larger than the one I used for making the actual dish in the video.
Sorry for all that mess…, I'm still new to the video production process…But I still hope that my video could inspire you to make your own clean eating zoodles recipe in the future. By the way, I love the music it comes with;)
As mentioned in the beginning I've used for this recipe my new spiral vegetable slicer.
If you want to learn why I absolutely love my new kitchen gadget and how my daughter could convince me to buy it, then feel free to read my review on the Lurch Super Spiralizer
Did you know that avocados are high in fiber?
Probably you've heard how important dietary fiber is for our gut system. Can you imagine that avocados with 6.7 grams/100 grams have more fiber than the fiber-rich whole wheat bread? Time to include avocados more often in our nutrition. Click here to check out my high fiber foods list.
OTHER ZOODLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
2 thoughts on “Pesto zoodles with avocado + How to make and cook zucchini noodles”
I made this dish twice. Delicious! It’s even something my hubby likes the flavor of. He doesn’t like many of the healthy dishes I make.
Thank you Cheryl, I can relate to your situation. My hubby loves this recipe too. Like you it’s also hard in general to please him with my clean eating recipes But he snacks often chocolate in between (which I didn’t buy!) that it gives me a great feeling when I know that he eats at least 1-2 healthy meals per day to “neutralize” his treats.
Comments are closed.