When you look at this roasted cauliflower salad I can probably read your mind. I admit it doesn’t look very appealing and it would not be the first thing I’d serve to guests, who are not used to it.
We all eat with our eyes…and in this context, this vegetable salad has a hard time to convince. But I suppose you are curious like me and will still give it a try. Let me tell you, you won’t regret it.
Baked or roasted cauliflower with Tahini is a very common side dish in the Middle Eastern kitchen. I tried this creamy salad for the first time on the Maldives where we’ve spent part of our summer holidays this year. Besides of Indian culisine, the middle eastern kitchen was present there too, offering us a huge culinary variety.
I was on the mission to try each salad on the buffet at least once. One fork full of roasted cauliflower salad was enough and I was obsessed.
Slightly sweet & absolutely irresistible
This white cabbage type is one of those ingredients that only heat transforms into a wonderful dish. Raw cauliflower is nothing special, but when you roast it in the oven, this vegetable gets a superb, slightly sweet and absolutely irresistible taste.
The florets get crunchy and the Tahini dressing complements the earthy taste and crisp-tender consistency of this low-carb side dish.Print
Roasted cauliflower salad recipe
A delicious gluten free side dish
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 red onion, cut into strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley
Tahini lemon dressing
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large bowl
- Add onions and seasonings.
- Toss everything slightly together until all florets are coated in onions and seasonings.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 15 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet, then stir.
- Return them to the oven, and roast for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is browned on the edges.
- Make the Tahini lemon dressing while the cauliflower and onions are roasting,
- Blend in a small bowl water, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, garlic and salt until smooth.
- Then keep cool until ready to serve.
- Combine the roasted vegetables in a salad bowl with the chopped parsley. Sprinkle the tahini dressing over top, and toss to combine.
- Enjoy this salad slightly warm from the oven, or chilled from the fridge.
- Serving Size: 4
How to serve it
The easiest way to serve this cruciferous vegetable salad is with a slice of whole grain bread or a bowl of brown rice. A great idea for a whole food meal is to combine it with roasted chickpeas.
Some facts about Tahini
Maybe you know Tahini or sesame paste as an important ingredient for hummus. The Tahini sauce is traditionally served with pita bread, falafel and keftes, salads, fish or deep-fried vegetables.
Variation tips with chickpeas
This is a great variation if you don’t like Tahini. You can combine cauliflower and chickpeas with slices of bell peppers and get a tasty, nutrient dense dish. As dressing mix some olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
OTHER CAULIFLOWER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY