When you look at this clean eating roasted cauliflower salad I can probably read your mind. I admit it doesn’t look very appealing and it would not be the first thing I’d serve to guests, who are not used to it.
We all eat with our eyes…and in this context this vegetable salad has a hard time to convince. But I suppose you are curious like me and will still give it a try. Let me tell you, you won’t regret it.
Baked or roasted cauliflower with Tahini is a very common side dish in the Middle Eastern kitchen. I tried this creamy cauliflower salad for the first time on the Maldives where we’ve spent part of our summer holidays this year. Besides of Indian culisine, the middle eastern kitchen was present there too offering us a huge culinary variety.
I was on the mission to try each salad on the buffet at least once. One fork full of roasted cauliflower salad was enough and I was obsessed.
Roasted cauliflower: slightly sweet & absolutely irresistible
Cauliflower is one of those ingredients that only heat transforms into a wonderful dish. Raw cauliflower is nothing special, but when you roast it in the oven, this vegetable gets a superb, slightly sweet and absolutely irresistible taste.
The cauliflower florets get crunchy and the Tahini dressing complements the earthy taste and crisp-tender consistency of this low-carb side dish.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 red onion, cut into strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large bowl
- Add onions and seasonings.
- Toss everything slightly together until all florets are coated in onions and seasonings.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then stir.
- Return them to the oven, and roast for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is browned on the edges.
- Make the Tahini lemon dressing while the cauliflower and onions are roasting,
- Blend water, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, garlic and salt until smooth.
- Then keep cool until ready to serve.
- Combine the roasted vegetables in a bowl with the chopped parsley. Sprinkle the tahini lemon dressing over top, and toss to combine.
- Enjoy this salad slightly warm from the oven, or chilled from the fridge.
How to serve clean eating roasted cauliflower salad
The easiest way to serve this cauliflower salad is with a slice of whole grain bread or a bowl of brown rice. A great idea for a whole food meal is to combine the clean eating roasted cauliflower salad with roasted chickpeas.
Some facts about Tahini
Maybe you know Tahini or sesame paste as an important ingredient for hummus. The Tahini sauce is traditionally served with pita bread, falafel and keftes, salads, fish or deep-fried vegetables.