Last Updated on June 17, 2020
From all cod fish recipes I know, this pan-fried cod might be the quickest clean eating dish. When briefly fried and served with a fresh salad or steamed vegetables, it becomes a tasty and light delicacy.
One of the most popular edible fish in the world
Most cod is sold particularly on Good Friday, when fish is traditionally eaten, especially in the Catholic regions of the world. The majority describes its taste as unique and particularly delicious. It is a mild fish that contains more firm “muscle meat” than other fish. That's why it lends itself perfectly for the preparation in a skillet. Enjoy within a few minutes the tender white flakes of juicy cod, with nice and light flavor, that is healthy and exquisite.
Pan-seared versus pan-fried cod recipes
This recipe is very simple to do at home and it is the way cod and similar white fish are often cooked in restaurant kitchens. I admit I do it a bit different…The correct culinary terminology would probably be pan-seared cod as I'm searing the fish in little oil and not frying it in an oil bath. Besides of pan-searing you can of course also bake, steam or grill your fish fillet.
Less expensive and lean protein source
Fish is an excellent source of protein by nature and therefore enjoys a great deal of popularity in any meal constellation. Cod stands out, in this context, because it is cheaper than other types like e.g. salmon, but still provides protein of the highest quality. One kilogram of cod contains about 170 grams of protein.
With less than 1% fat, cod is also a great fish for weight management. In addition, trace elements and minerals are abundant. Especially in regard to fluorine, selenium and iodine cod is at the top of the list.
How to cook cod
Most fried cod recipes will call for oil with a high smoke point like canola oil which is usually processed and not clean. Others call for melted butter. I'm using for most of my clean eating recipes olive oil and I feel it works for this pan-seared recipe too. There are some other tricks to ensure some extra crispiness I'll share with you below.
For this recipe it is important that you have either fresh cod fillets or you thawed your frozen fish in your fridge for at least 5-6 hours. You can use cod with skin or without. I've used the skinless version.Print
Pan Fried Cod Fish Recipe
A delicious and affordable fish meal
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 7
- Total Time: 12
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Shallow frying
- Cuisine: German
- Diet: Low Fat
- 2–3 cod fillets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- some pepper
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- Wash your fresh or thawed fillets under current cold water and dry them with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. (The pan should be really hot)
- Mix flour with salt and pepper on a plate.
- Once the pan is almost hot, turn the cod in the flour mixture and tap the excess off. (It should be just a light dusting of flour!)
- Fry cod in hot oil at medium heat until golden – 2-4 minutes per side. (Resist the temptation to move it and turn it only one time to prevent fish from falling apart)
- For a lean meal serve it with a large mixed salad or some steamed vegetables.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: pan-fried cod fish, codfish, cod fillets
Cod Recipes – Tips and Tricks
Here are some additional tips to prevent cod falling apart:
- Add some sprinkles of lemon juice to the oil versus the end of the searing process.
- Don't fry the fillets longer than 4 minutes on each side.
- As you might have noticed, I'm using white flour for this recipe that usually should be avoided in a “clean eating kitchen”. But as you might know, I'm not a 100% clean eating advocate but prefer instead the 80/20 approach. The flour mix is essential for keeping fish firm and crispy – it forms a protective coating. You could also use whole grain flour instead.
Best Kitchen Gear
For best searing results I recommend to use a cast iron skillet or a stainless steel skillet.
Fish on Fridays has a long family tradition
I'm used to eating fish meals on Fridays since my early childhood. Even nowadays we have seafood at the end of the workweek. Our favorite meal is a salmon dish but from time to time I cook simple, less expensive cod fish recipes.
Origin and buying tips
Cod lives across the North Atlantic, in the North and Baltic Seas and in the northern Pacific. It used to be one of the so-called breadfish because of its abundance. Today, most stocks are massively threatened by overfishing. It should therefore rarely be served, and according to the current Greenpeace recommendation, only if it originates from the North-East Atlantic or North-East Pacific.
How long does uncooked cod last in the fridge?
Cod should not be stored for too long at home. The special structure of the meat offers an ideal environment for bacteria. Therefore I highly recommended to prepare it as quickly as possible. Don't store it in the fridge for more than 36 hours. You should also make sure that the fish is cooled during transport, from the point of purchase to your own home.
What is your favorite recipe?
Now it's your turn! What is your preferred cod recipe? Share it with us in the comment section below!
Clean Eating Fish Recipes: Important part of 52 Chef Habits
Did you know that simplifying your clean eating habits for weight management is a crucial part of my 52 Chef Habits Ecourse, featuring the best clean eating fish recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. Click here to learn more!