In this article you will learn how to drink more water every day to stay hydrated and lose weight, if this is your goal. In the baby step challenge I showed you how to drink water effectively – the LeanJumpStart approach…
Here you can take it to the next level if you want.
How to drink more water – week 1: education & awareness
Best water to drink is pure clean water, sodium-free club soda or seltzer out of glass bottles. This is the healthiest option when you are thirsty.
Pay attention to sugar or honey in hot beverages, as well as, juices and sodas. Their liquid calories quickly add up. Some beverages such as the Starbucks Frappuccino can have calories equivalent to that of a main meal.
This advice listed above is also publicized by Professor Popkins of the University of North Carolina (UNC). He has consulted with governments regarding obesity for many years. Popkins was shocked about his observations in China’s remote provincial schools. During his visits more than 20 years ago these schools all had a drinking fountain available. Currently, soda machines are one of the main culprits in childhood obesity. That was also the reason why the Peking government asked for Popkins’ help.
His thesis: “The Stone-age man ate to satisfy his hunger” states that man used to chew and swallow until the stomach was full and when he was thirsty he drank water.
Fluids can make you full too, but this is something our body has not realized until now. You may quickly drink the calories of a full meal and still not feel satiated because it takes time for the brain to register that you are full.
If you do not like plain water try some of these options:
- Add a squeeze of lime or a splash of lemon juice or mint leaves to your water or club soda.
- Consume unsweetened, all-natural, decaffeinated beverages such as herbal teas.
- Buy a new kind of herbal tea every time you shop until you’ve found a couple that taste just right. …And by all means, say yes, if someone offers you a cup of herbal tea!
- Make fruit and vegetable infused water. It still tastes great, and it’s an excellent way to use raspberries, oranges, melon or cucumber from your garden or the farmers market.
- Remember that food sources can provide significant amounts of your necessary daily water intake. Foods such as tomatoes, watermelon, and oranges are up to 90% water, and coffee, juice and soup count toward your daily water needs as well.
How to drink more water – week 2: Increase your daily consumption
Keep in mind that your body would be perfectly content if you drank nothing but water. In this second week double your water consumption: Drink an 8 ounce glass every hour, starting when you wake up.
Try some of these suggestions and honored tricks to increase your daily consumption of water. That way remembering to drink is no struggle but fun!
- Drink water in the morning
Drink a little water every time in the morning before you brush your teeth for a refreshing start into your day.
- Try multitasking
While you’re waiting for the coffee to brew, drink a glass of water (or herbal tea) and sip while you wait.
- Become a water connoisseur
Develop a taste for the various types of bottled waters available (spring, mineral, reverse osmosis, filtered, sparkling waters etc.). It is important to read the labels as some “waters” have significant added salt and/or calories.
- Drink your glass before and with meals
Set a glass of water at each place setting at the table on a daily basis. Make it a habit to drink a glass of water before every meal because this helps to fill you up. Sipping water between every few bites is another great idea that can slow you down while also meeting your water needs.
- Stock up your fridge
Before you go to bed each night, put in the refrigerator the number of water bottles you would like to drink the next day. They’ll be cold and waiting for you when you wake up. To keep your liquid cold use a water cooler throughout the day.
- Drink a little water before bedtime
You may drink some water after brushing your teeth. But be careful! Avoid hydration too close to bedtime as it might result in night time waking to urinate.
- Choose clean, filtered water
Sometimes tap water contains a host of pollutants or just tastes yucky.
Take it to the next level by getting a faucet or pitcher filter to leave in the good and keep out the bad.
- Veggie or Fruit Infused beverage
You can easily increase the amount of water you drink with my creative Top 24 detox water recipe ideas
Tell me your strategies to water your body
What are your strategies for a healthy level of hydration? What kind of water do you prefer to drink? Please share your water drinking tips with us below in the comments.