Have you got an hour? A handful of vegetables, some eggs? Wonderful!
These breakfast egg muffins are a super flexible and easy clean eating meal!
With the ingredients, you could of course just make scrambled eggs with vegetables. This would be a bit easier and quicker…But not only master chefs know that “you eat with your eyes first”. Don’t these veggie egg muffins look just gorgeous? …And my husband keeps telling me that they also taste delicious. I won’t disagree;)
Great for meal planning
Baking them in tins comes also with another advantage. That way these egg cups could also make a great component of your meal planning and meal prep. Just store them in your freezer and each morning transfer them to your lunchbox or the kid’s school snack box. Of course, they are yummy and practical for healthful mornings too:)
I’m convinced that once you have baked 6 egg cups as a test, you will crave for more the next time.
Just double ingredients for 12 pieces. As it is a clean eating meal I don’t use any “white flour” but take instead almond meal. Check out the healthy breakfast egg muffins recipe below!Print
Breakfast egg muffins with vegetables
A healthy and yummy veggie egg bake for breakfast or lunch
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 100 grams almond meal
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 100 grams red bell pepper, diced
- 100 grams broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thyme branches (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- salt, pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 40 grams parmesan or cheddar cheese, grated (or yeast flakes)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or almond slivers)
- Grease generously with butter 6 holes of a muffin pan.
- Spread almond meal into muffin tins.
- Save the remaining almond meal for later.
- In a large pan steam vegetables in olive oil for 8 minutes at medium heat, covered.
- Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Place the eggs, parmesan, the remaining almond meal into a bowl and whisk with a fork until the mixture is well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir through hot vegetables.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your prepared holes.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove tray from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before gently transferring the egg cups to a cooling rack.
- Serve it with a tomato salad.
- Good to know for a lighter version: This recipe works also just with egg whites
- Serving Size: 2
A flexible recipe idea
This vegetarian recipe (if you use cheddar cheese) is super flexible regarding veggies. Instead of red bell peppers, you could also use 100 grams of dried, minced tomatoes. If you don’t like broccoli just use more zucchini cubes. Another favorite of mine is a simple spinach tomato combination. Delicious!
Do you love smart lunch-to-go ideas?
Do you need some more inspirations for hearty lunch-to-go recipes? Then you will love my 52 Chef Habits Ecourse with many ideas to simplify your clean eating kitchen. Click here to learn more!