Clean Eating Snacks for weight management will be the focus of this week’s challenge. To maintain an easy approach you will find in the following many suggestions for healthy food snacks with little or no preparation time.
If you need to watch your weight then you will love the fact that I’ve specified some quantities for clean snacks I recommend to indulge wisely;) In addition, expect three easy steps that will help you “automate” your healthy snacking habits.
For your convience I’ve packed the clean eating snacks in 3 different categories:
- 50 Single ingredient snacks without or just little preparation time
- 25 Healthy Snack Recipes with two main ingredients
- 25 Healthy Snack ideas with more than three ingredients
Why you should opt for healthy snacks
Sugary, nutrient-poor junk food, like candy bars or pastries, act similar to fuel that runs hot and flames out. Yes, they can give you a quick energy shot, but it is often followed by a crash that can leave you sleepy, hungry and unable to concentrate.
Healthy food snacks in contrast will work like slow-burning fuel providing you with a flow of steady energy that keeps you satiated much longer. All of the 100 clean eating snacks are at least vegetarian and a big bunch of them are naturally vegan and gluten free.
Let’s start with some quick snack ideas for times when you are super-lazy in your kitchen.
Easy & quick clean eating snacks
If you’re short on time, it is still better to opt for healthy single ingredient snacks instead of unhealthy treats. Use easy no-cook snacks that need no preparation, like fruits, veggies, eggs or nuts. In summer time frozen grapes are amazing snack options.
If chosen wisely, a handful of dry fruits are wonderful clean eating snacks too. But please take note of the ingredient list – choose packages that say “no sulfites”; only the fruit should be listed. For best possible weight management, limit your fruit consumption to two portions per day.
50 Single ingredient snacks without or little preparation time
- Frozen blended banana “ice cream”
- Fresh grapes
- A medium banana
- Sliced bell peppers
- Nibbling some carrots (a great strategy against sugar cravings)
- Fresh cherry tomatoes
- Apple wedges (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon of almonds
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh watermelon chunks
- Sliced kohlrabi
- Hard boiled egg (extreme high satiation, healthy snack for he office)
- Fresh pineapple chunks
- Dried self-made fruit chips (ideal cinema snacks)
- Fresh cherries
- Sliced cucumbers
- A handful of sunflower seeds
- Fresh blueberries
- Frozen grapes (great summer snack)
- 1 tablespoon of cashews
- Fresh grapefruit
- Green pears
- 1 tablespoon of walnuts
- Dried mango slices
- A handful of peanuts
- Homemade popsicles
- Some dark chocolate (max. 1 oz./30 gr. per day)
- Clean olives & pickles
- 1 – 2 apricots
- 1 tablespoon of hazelnuts
- 2-3 Medjool dates
- A handful of pumpkin seeds
- Small cup of brown rice
- 1 Peach
- Steamed edamame with sea salt
- Baked sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon of pistachios
- 1 tablespoon of clean raisins
- 1 tablespoon of mixed nuts
- A cup of cottage cheese
- Plain baked potato
- Fresh raspberries
- 2-3 Prunes
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Radishes slightly salted
- Fresh figues
- Toasted coconut chips
- Roasted chickpeas
- Fresh honeydew chunks
25 Clean Eating Snack Recipes with Two Ingredients:
Complex Carbohydrates with Lean Protein or Healthy Fats – with a few exceptions
From a clean eating standpoint, most snacks should be a combination of complex carbohydrates (veggies, fruits, nuts, whole wheat) with lean protein.
These kinds of snacks guarantee the highest satiation effect, and the protein content will create an extra mental boost:
- Self-made crunchy baked savoy cabbage chips with olive oil
- Passionfruit with Greek yoghurt
- Banana with 1 tablespoon almonds
- Strawberries frozen in Greek yoghurt
- Hard-boiled eggs with nuts or an apple (Tip: prepare eggs on the weekend)
- Some mozzarella (15 g/0.5 oz) with sliced radishes.
- 2 tomatoes with 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese
- Banana topped with almond butter
- Clean eating banana oatmeal cookies
- Kiwi carpaccio with almonds (great for summer parties)
- Herb roasted nuts
- Sliced tomato with balsamic drizzle
- Almonds and raisins
- Baked zucchini chips with clean eating ketchup
- Self-made crispy baked carrot chips with coconut oil
- Leftover grilled veggies
- Sweet potato fries (baked)
- Apple slices with almond butter
- Self-made crispy baked kale chips
- Plantain fries
- Clean Almond milk
- Grilled fruits
- Butternut squash chips
- 1 cup air popped cinnamon popcorn
- Spiralized carrots with cottage cheese
25 healthy snack ideas with more than 3 ingredients
- Energy balls with dried plums and almonds
- Tomato Mozzarella skewers
- Strawberry banana smoothie
- Fresh veggies and guacamole
- Mango salad with cucumber and red pepper
- Veggies with pesto dip
- Clean eating raspberry muffins
- Clean fruit and nut bar
- Parsley root soup
- Celery sticks with some hummus
- Spiralized apple cranberry salad
- Parmesan roasted carrots
- Small Endive salad with clean dressing
- Clean Eating cabbage soup
- Leftover red beet burger patty
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Marinated mushrooms
- Clean eating pear salad with walnuts
- Veggies with lentil dip
- Kohlrabi celeriac soup
- Healthy egg muffins
- Vegetable broth from clean vegetable stock concentrate
- Ice smoothie: blend frozen berries and unsweetened coconut milk (a little ginger adds zing)
- Cabbage salad with carrots and pineapples
- Clean eating vegetable soup
It might not be as healthy as the above suggestions, but it is a great compromise with a high satiation effect that won’t make you craving any cookies, promised. The satiation comes from the low fat milk. This very common “snack idea” in Europe is made of 1 espresso, warm low fat milk and some milk foam (see picture above).
3 baby action steps for switching to clean eating snacks
Below is a simple three-step habit change that will help you automate your healthy snacking habits:
- Think about your single most unhealthy snack that you tend to desire most often. Do you find yourself often craving greasy potato chips or something similarly addictive?
- Try to replace it with one of the clean eating snacks above. (e.g. replace potato chips with crispy baked savoy cabbage chips).
- Remember: it’s all about balance. If you slip and eat something unhealthy, don’t beat yourself up! Try it again the next time and replace your unhealthy snack with something different on the list, like dried fruit chips. Iterate as often as necessary till you find your optimal snack replacement. With 90 clean snack ideas I’m sure you’ll find your all-time favorite:)
5 additional tips for healthy snacking
- Eating small meals every three to five hours can help to resist the urge to overeat. It keeps your metabolism revved up and helps normalize blood sugar.
- With several snacks per day, you can actively prevent post meal sleepiness that comes from consuming too many calories in one sitting.
- Make sure that snacking happens during your active times of the day in between your meal time. That way you’ll be better off with your weight-control goals.
- Keep healthy snacks easily-accessible; hide or ban unhealthy snacks around you.
- Stock your handbag with healthy snacks (I always have a box of almonds with me).
And what about late night snacks?
I’m often asked for healthy late night snacks… and if you followed my 52 week clean eating habits challenge so far, then you know how important it is to develop a pre-bedtime routine (challenge week #3). This recommendation is still valid: Finish eating at least two hours before bedtime, and eat no later than 9 p.m.
What are your favorite clean eating snack ideas?
Could you successfully switch an unhealthy snack habit to a healthy alternative? Please share your healthy snack recipes with us in the comment section below!