My Ultimate Soup Recipe for weight loss – simple and efficient!
In this week’s challenge, you will learn why it is important to have some easy clean eating soup recipes on hand. If you are overweight, then this challenge is crucial for you! I will also reveal to you my ultimate soup recipe and why I think it is the most perfect soup recipe for clean eating and weight loss! Again I’ve included a short “How to” video for you.
Two main reasons why eating soup regularly helps you lose weight
Have you ever said the following?: “I’ll skip the soup because it will fill me up too much.”
Clean eating soup recipes as a weight loss aid should be taken seriously:
1) Dramatic satiety effect
It is much easier to cut down on your main course when it is preceded by a bowl of soup. After having soup as a starter, by the time the main course is brought, digestion has already begun, which results in the elimination of hunger.
2) Soup slows down the meal
The reason behind this is that soup is relatively complicated to eat. You need time and motor skills to consume it, which often causes people to eat less. Soup necessitates you sit in order to eat comfortably, plus you need a spoon and you are physically limited in the amount you can consume in each spoonful. It’s not easy to gulp it down, and when you put it in a larger bowl, you often trick your body into believing you’ve had a larger portion.
Clean eating Soup Recipes: Why cabbage soup is magic
People who followed my 52-week Clean Eating Challenge might know that I’m a big fan of cabbage soup. The 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet was a big game changer for me more than twenty years ago. It not only helped me to shed some pounds successfully, but it was also a motivating catalyst toward healthy long-term nutrition. In fact it is in my opinion one of the most efficient clean eating soup recipes ever.
It was right after the seven days when the real magic began. I used cabbage soup as a starter before my regular meals whenever I could. This led, of course, to even more weight loss in the long run. What is more… it inspired me to a whole lifestyle change, resulting in my 80:20 clean eating nutrition regimen.
The typical cabbage soup recipe uses broth (preferably low-salt) or water as a base with vegetables.
Although variation is important, those who eat simple become satiated quicker. That’s why I avoid using a lot of different components in a meal or a soup. As a nice side effect, this smart approach saves me time and money too.
Cabbage is part of the Clean 7
The most important component of my favorite clean soup recipe is, of course, cabbage. The great thing about cabbage is that, even if it is conventionally grown, it will have the least amount of pesticides involved in their cultivation. You can save your money for organic versions of higher-pesticide fruits (like apples or strawberries).
Cabbage – the perfect vegetable for a 80:20 clean eating lifestyle
Cabbage is a vegetable you should always have on hand. With the use of different varieties and some forward planning, you can have cabbage pretty much year round. It is very affordable, clean, nutrient-dense, low-calorie, super versatile and you can keep it for months in the fridge. Show me another vegetable that can compete in all mentioned disciplines!
Eating soup as a starter is super effective
Many dieters will skip this important weight management tip, but the fact is, it is super easy to do, not to mention super effective! It may be that it just seems too simple when we have so much competing information ‘sold’ to us by corporate weight loss organizations. Let’s face it: the weight loss industry has no interest in letting you know it could be that simple.
Baby action-steps to automate your healthy soup consumption
Add a tasty, low-calorie vegetable soup to your daily routine and you will lose weight in the long run.
Here comes a simple 3-step habit change that helps you to automate your soup consumption. You want to become the person who eats soup as a starter before your regular meal.
Step 1: Use your lunch or dinner as a trigger.
Step 2: Print out the recipe below or research other clean eating soup recipes on the web.
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 bunch celery
- 1-2 cans diced tomatoes (or 6-8 fresh tomatoes)
- 6 large green onions
- 34 oz (1 liter) water
- 3-4 cubes of organic vegetable broth (low sodium)
- Cut vegetables into small pieces and cover with water.
- Heat it up and let it come to a boil. Add cubes.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with low-sodium salt, pepper, parsley, etc.
- I picked this recipe from my cabbage soup diet 2.0 website. It is a great soup recipe to detoxify your body and shed some pounds in between.
Seven additional clean eating soup recipes tips:
1) You can easily merge your cabbage soup into a main course if you add some chicken, crab, pasta, rice, beans or chickpeas to it and serve it with less broth.
2) Don’t know what to cook for dinner? Opt for a vegetable soup and a delicious salad combination. Here is another quick and easy clean eating vegetable soup recipe
3) Using a food processor to slice and dice the vegetables prior to cooking will speed up preparation.
4) Change texture through pureeing a portion of soup in a blender (like e.g Vitamix, see below) and putting it back in the pot to thicken the cabbage soup.
5) The cabbage soup is perfect for freezing. I recommend cooking the cabbage soup in large batches and freezing it for later meals.
6) If you don’t like cabbage, replace it with broccoli, cauliflower or kale.
7) To avoid the flatulence that can be caused by cabbage, add a tablespoon cumin or caraway to your soup.
So there we have it – a simple, yet effective strategy for sustainable weight loss.
I’ve added below my recommendation for kitchen gear that might come handy when preparing your healthy soup. I’ve included the newer version of my “WMF pasta pot” I’m using for almost all of my soups.
Video: How to make my famous cabbage soup quick and easy
Check out my video below and learn how easy it is to prepare cabbage soup. Make sure to subscribe to my Youtube channel for more videos to come!
Please add your thoughts, experiences and questions regarding clean eating soup recipes for weight management in the comments section!