Less is more! For this frozen banana ice cream you really need just one ingredient. And as a lover of minimalism it is for me the ice cream of the year:)
You’ve read it right – this 1-ingredient ice cream recipe asks for just one ripe or even overripe banana. It sounds unbelievable but this easy clean eating recipe really works. It has to do with a magic component in bananas I’ll reveal in a few minutes. And again I’ve created a short video for you to demonstrate how easy it really is make frozen banana ice cream:)
I found this healthy recipe on kitchen many years ago and bookmarked it. But sadly I tried it on my own only recently. What held me back for so long is that I expected a taste compromise I didn’t want.
How wrong I was!
It was my daughter who surprised me with this really marvelous treat some weeks ago. She explained that it has been known in vegetarian and vegan food circles for a long time. She even read that some vegans eat frozen banana ice cream for breakfast in summer time. Now I got really curious…
I must admit I was blown away by the intense taste and creamy consistency of this frozen banana ice cream.
I couldn’t wait to try it on my own…I even placed some bananas near my tomato basket to accelerate their ripening. Nice side effect – since I’ve tried this banana ice cream recipe on my own I love to see overripe bananas in my kitchen:)
- 1 large ripe/overripe banana (or 2 small bananas)
- Peel and cut banana in small coins
- Put banana coins in a freezer safe glass container or in a freezer back
- Store it in the freezer for at least 2 hours, better overnight
- Once the banana coins are frozen, puree them in a food processor or a powerful blender: In the first blending round the frozen banana pieces look a bit chunky and crumbled. Then with each new blending session they change their texture. First it gets pasty like mush. Keep blending! Then slowly the mush gets smoother and suddenly it changes to a creamy consistency.
- But pay attention, if you have a powerful food processor like I have you could easily "over blend" it. So best is to process in short sessions and check in between.
- To aerate the ice cream blend for a few more seconds more.
- You can make of course a larger batch with 2 or 3 bananas. But please make sure your food processor is big enough.
The science behind this frozen banana ice cream magic
Maybe you assumed that a pureed frozen banana would be icy or flaky like other frozen fruits. Why does frozen banana change into a creamy consistency when blending? The reason for this is its high pectin content.
Pectin is often used as gelling agent in the industry. The high pectin content is also the reason why this exotic fruit is often used as natural remedy against diarrhea. Pectin binds superfluous water and firms the stool.
In the banana ice cream case it binds the superfluous ice water. So now as you know the magic behind it, before trying it let me share with you one last thing – my quick step-by-step video. It is almost like magic!
Watch the Video (1:09 Min) on How to make Frozen Banana Ice Cream
Now it’s your choice. You can eat this frozen banana ice cream immediately or you let it freeze again in your freezer.
The most important success factor for frozen banana ice cream
The most important success factor is to use at least ripe bananas. They have a yellow skin with small brown dots, without any green color. Surprisingly even better work overripe, soft bananas. You know, those with a black skin (Yuck!) you wished you had eaten some days before.
If you are like me you have not always the time or mood to bake banana bread from overripe bananas. Especially on hot summer days I omit to use my baking oven. Before your overripe bananas end up in the organic waste now you have a better option.
Try this simple frozen banana ice cream recipe instead or use your black skin banana for my best ever clean eating strawberry banana smoothie.
Have you ever tried frozen banana ice cream?
Isn’t this a fantastic homemade ice cream recipe? Sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, fat-free, clean…let us know your experience with frozen banana ice cream in the comment section below. How did you like it?
Do you love clean eating treats with just a few ingredients?
For a delicious and healthy recipe there is really no need for a long ingredient list. In doubt – less is more and quality beats quantity.
This philosophy is also the base of my 52 Chef Habits Course
where I teach you how to simplify your clean eating habits to get in shape.