A delicious, vegan whole grain risotto
- Author: Gabi Rupp
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Total Time: 65
- 500 g/18 oz broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper, in fine stripes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic mined
- 200 g/1 cup pearl barley
- 120 ml/1/2 cup white wine or 1 TBSP white Balsamico
- 1 liter/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 1-minute.
- Add the barley and cook for 1-minute stirring.
- Now, add the wine or white Balsamico and cook until it is evaporated.
- Then add all the vegetable stock to risotto skillet, stir well and cover it.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer risotto, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. By then it should be thick and creamy.
- Once the dish is almost fully cooked, about 10 minutes in, add red pepper stripes and broccoli florets.
- Cook for 5–10 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the grain is tender.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
If you are an “all eater” you can sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over this one pot meal.