This quinoa salad recipe with red beans and cabbage enables you to create a clean meal with a high satiation effect.
On top it is a wonderful lunch idea you can take with you to the office.
Quinoa is a genuine healthy and a particularly protein rich alternative to pasta or rice. Did you know that it supplies also a higher mineral content in comparison to conventional grain types? Find below my favorite organic quinoa picks on Amazon.
Quinoa salad recipe with a double of protein
But it is not only quinoa that contains valuable protein, together with the protein in read beans this salad is a “protein bomb” that can stand on its own. Try out the following quinoa salad recipe – with healthy cabbage and red beans it is for me a typical winter salad.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (you can use white quinoa or a blend of white, red & black grains)
- 2 cups water
- 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed (you can also use black beans)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, finely chopped
- Dressing :
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water according to package instructions, (usually about 15 minutes). Fluff with fork and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, red beans, red pepper, cabbage and onion.
- Mix all dressing ingredients (lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sea salt and pepper) until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend.
- Serve it immediately or allow it to sit in your fridge for an hour to develop taste.
- Tipp: Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into whole wheat pita bread.
- If you don't have quinoa you may want to replace it with millet.
Learn more about Quinoa!
When you look at quinoa’s versatility and the many health benefits you maybe understand why I feel quinoa should be a staple in every kitchen. That’s why I dedicated a whole week’s clean eating challenge to this superfood.
If you have a hard time to tolerate whole grain then quinoa again is your best choice. Get below even more ideas for quinoa salad recipes and other creative ideas.
Do you know some tasty quinoa salad recipe ideas too? Feel free to share it with us below in the comment section.
Another creative cabbage recipe
Most of you know that I’m a big fan of cabbage not only because it is super healthy but also because you can store it in your pantry or fridge for several weeks. While most of my vegetable supply is depleted quite quickly it is always a bit of cabbage left I can use to “pimp up” any clean eating recipe. Did you know that cabbage, wrapped in a mold kitchen towel keeps fresh in the crisper department of your fridge for several weeks?