Thai salad with millet
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 45
- 3/4 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly grated
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 Tsp. dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup Thai peanut sauce (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, crushed
- some greens (e.g. beets, arugula, watercress or iceberg,
- I’ve used beets)
For the Thai salad dressing
- ¼ cup/4 Tbsp smooth unsalted, 100% peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp. Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. date syrup
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl add red cabbage, carrots, chives and cilantro.
- Once cool add millet and mix to combine.
- Set aside and make the dressing.
Thai salad dressing
- Whisk together the peanut butter and Tamari sauce in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat until the peanut butter is soft and easy to stir.
- Add the ginger, date syrup, vinegar, lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
- Mix to fully combine the flavors.
- Add water to thin, as needed.
- Drizzle the peanut dressing over top of the vegetable-millet mixture and toss.
- Serve on a bed of greens.
- Top with chopped peanuts.